Monday, June 18, 2012

Military Monday...Yes, We Are "Diggits"

As I look around my house, reminders of the Navy, specifically the submarine force are everywhere.  Okay, I am being modest.  Basically it looks like a submarine threw up in my house.  I am what is lovingly (or not so lovingly depending on who you ask) referred to as a "Diggit."  For my civilian friends who may not have heard this term before, it is pretty self-explanatory.  I "dig" the Navy, especially the submarine force.



My evolution into a "Diggit" was a slow process.  When I got married and got my first taste of this lifestyle I was less than enthused.  Okay, again I am being modest.  I HATED IT!!!!!!  There was not a single thing I liked about the Navy.  They stole my husband, made me move away from my home and family and controlled every aspect of my life, or so I thought.  It was as I grew older and wiser ;) I realized that this lifestyle wasn't as bad as I had originally thought.

After about six months of living in our first duty station, Charleston, South Carolina I realized that I had been given an incredible opportunity.  I was born and raised in the same small Wyoming town.  I even went to college there.  I was happy, content, and comfortable.  I had no plans of leaving...that is until I married my sailor.  Two days after getting married the U-Haul was packed and we were on our way across the country.  Never in a million years did I ever dream of living in South Carolina so I vowed to act like tourists and explore each duty station to which we were assigned.  We spent many days in downtown Charleston walking around the market, Rainbow Row, and the Battery.  We would lounge around on the beach at Isle of Palms while my friends and family back in Wyoming were freezing.  In Albuquerque, New Mexico we attended the famous Balloon Fiesta and indulged in the local tradition of green chili...roasting, peeling, and eating it on everything.  We explored upstate New York including Lake George and the parks and racetrack in Saratoga Springs.  Maine was all about the lobster or "lobstah" as known to the locals.  Now that we are in Connecticut our adventures continue courtesy of the Navy.


I have learned that life is about perspective.  There are definitely some negative aspects about the military lifestyle.  But I have discovered that making an effort to focus less on the negative and more on the positive my happiness with our life has increased.  Of course I have bad days.  I wouldn't be human if I didn't and I allow myself these days.  You need them to recharge.  There are times when the chaos, loneliness, and stress are too much to take.  When this happens I try to do something special for myself even if it is putting the kids to bed a little earlier than usual and sitting down in a quiet, peaceful house with a glass of wine and a good book.  I allow myself to cry or vent to a friend but I know that I must move past my current sorrowful state and focus on the positive.  The Navy has given me adventure, experience, independence, a can-do attitude, and friendships that are unmatched.


The Navy has also allowed me to look at my husband in a way I never would.  I am so extremely proud of his service to our country and the job he does.  Words can't even explain.  Even though I am incredibly sad every time his submarine heads down the river and out to sea I have to watch because the sense of pride and patriotism I feel help dull the heartache of missing my love.  I have watched the submarine leave more times than I care to count but the feelings are just as strong as the first time I watched him leave.  I will probably always be that wife that goes to the pier or beach to watch the submarine whether they are coming or going because I am a "Diggit" and I am proud of it.


Kristen and Alyse


No comments:

Post a Comment