Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Hawaiian Topiaries




We were both on the Dolphin Scholarship Auction committee this year.  Kristen the Gold Chair and I was the Decorations chair.  I made all the centerpieces and they were fun and easy to make.  Before I go into that though I thought I would give you a little more info about the Dolphin Scholarship.


The Dolphin Scholarship is available to undergrad students who have a parent that is qualified in submarines and has served at least 8 years in the submarine force or 10 years served in submarine support activities. Currently, they award a student $3,400 annually.  The scholarship is funded by the Submarine Spouse Organizations, the submarine community, individual donations, and from corporations.  For more info about the Scholarship visit the DSF website here


Anyway, back to my topiaries.  So I found a link online with the idea. You can see it here


I purchased foam topiary forms from a craft store and purchased a box of the paper parasols you would put in a drink.  I simply stuffed the parasols into the round foam ball then stuck the other end into a clay pot. 


Heres a close up of a finished one.  I then wrapped green tulle around the wood part to give it a finished look.  I also added some green moss to the top of the pot to cover the foam base.  It really is that simple.  It took me no time at all and were great festive centerpieces for our Hawaiian luau.


Here is a picture of a finished one at our auction kick off party. 

So there you have it.  A simple summer craft. 
Alyse and Kristen




No comments:

Post a Comment